Education Health Care Plan (EHCP)EHCPs (Education, Health and Care Plans) are the statutory documents that are replacing Statements of SEN under the new legislation. The national process of transferring all statements to EHCPs is due to be completed by the end of March 2018. Milestone Academy completed most of our transfer reviews during the 2014-15 academic year.Every year an annual review of the EHCP is held for each student. This is an opportunity to review progress and consider the document, including Outcomes and Provision Plans. As part of this process, suggested changes to the EHCP may be sent to the maintaining local authority (LA), if appropriate. Las are responsible for maintaining EHCPs and reissuing them when appropriate.
The key educational components of the EHCP are:
Section B – describes the student’s SEN (in order of priority on Kent EHCPs, not so for some other Las).
Section E – Outcomes, which are the overarching targets for the current key stage for each area of SEN.
Section F – Provision Plans – which set out resources and strategies that will be available to help achieve the outcome. These also set small step targets towards the outcome for this year, which are evaluated at the end of Terms 2,4, and 6. New Provision Plans are put in place for each student every year, in agreement with parents/carers.
Meetings are offered to parents/carers three time a year to discuss the Provision Plans and progress against them (two parent consultation meetings and the annual review).
If you have any questions about your child’s annual review etc., please contact Fiona Tozer on 01474 709420 X:334.
Information for parents
• Special Needs Jungle – https://www.specialneedsjungle.com/ (written by parents for parents)
• Kent’s local offer – http://www.kent.gov.uk/education-and-children/special-educational-needs
• IPSEA – https://www.ipsea.org.uk/what-you-need-to-know/transition (Information on the transition to EHC Plans for families)
• IPSEA – 12 frequently asked questions – https://www.ipsea.org.uk/what-you-need-to-know/frequently-asked-questions-by-topic/frequently-asked-questions/about-the-new-sen-legal-framework
• DfE- SEND guide for parents/carers – https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/417435/Special_educational_needs_and_disabilites_guide_for_parents_and_carers.pdf
• DfE – Letters for parents – https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/348842/Parents_letter_Aug_2014_final.pdf
• Independent Support – Support and advice for parents: https://www.kent.gov.uk/education-and-children/special-educational-needs/who-to-contact#tab-3