Dear Parents, Carers and Families,
We need to now notify you of our arrangements in response to severe weather problems that could lead to Milestone Academy closing.
Whilst every effort will be made for the school to remain open, the following factors could lead to the school having to close. These are as follows:
- if the site is unsafe due to ice and/or snow
- if a reasonable temperature cannot be maintained in the building
- if water is not available and the toilet system is not working satisfactorily
- if staff cannot reach school and not enough staff are available to supervise the children
However, there may be other unique factors that occur that contribute to this decision.
PROCESS FOR COMMUNICATING SCHOOL CLOSURE
On the morning of severe snow, we will now inform KCC and within minutes, this information will be published on the KCC website: www.kent.gov.uk/winter. BBC Radio Kent, Heart FM and KMFM will use this list to broadcast closures over the radio.
Parents can also register for alerts by email for free or by text for 20p and the standard network charge on www.kentclosures.co.uk. This means that as soon as we inform the website of the closure, parents who have registered for the service will be notified by text or email almost immediately.
Details will also be on the school’s website as soon as possible: www.milestoneacademy.org.uk
FURTHER POINTS TO NOTE
- Should we have opened and then weather conditions worsen during the school day, we will attempt to ensure pupils leave early to be returned home during daylight hours. This may depend on the availability of the transport. Please make sure that suitable arrangements are in place if this occurs.
- Please do ensure that you have your child’s driver and escort numbers so that you can contact them and ensure that they have yours in case of worsening weather conditions.
- If you do not have access to the internet, please let the school know so that we can arrange for a member of staff to ring you.
For Milestone pupils that are based at our Satellite provision at other LAT Academies only
PLEASE NOTE: The Milestone pupils based at other academies will NOT attend if EITHER Milestone Academy is closed OR if the host academy is closed.
Nigel Jones | Principal