In the Art and Design Department at Milestone, our aim is to extend the students’ horizons and give them an appreciation of the world of art, both within and outside school, while engaging them in tasks which they enjoy and which attract their attention and enthusiasm. We aim for all students to extend their abilities to concentrate, by looking, listening and following instructions which along with an anticipation of the next step and a burgeoning of independence are considered to be signs of progress.
Statement of intent
At Milestone, students in Art and Design will be encouraged to:
- Use a variety of materials and processes for sensory exploration
- Respond to familiar ideas and themes
- Investigate and combine materials and processes to make images and artefacts
- Experience and experiment with colour, line, shape, texture, pattern and form
- Explore different materials and processes
- Extend communication skills in a practical way, expressing in visual terms what they see, feel and think – on their own or working with others
- Value and assess their own and others’ achievements.
In Phases 1 and 2 class teams are responsible for implementing the Art and Design curriculum with opportunities for Upper Phase 2 to experience specialist art a term per class While in Phase 3, 4 and 5 it is taught by a specialist art teacher. All students in Phase 3 have a weekly lesson, skills are differentiated and taught through topics which last the term and follow a 3-year rolling programme. In Phase 4 and 5, the students are part of a carousel between all the arts subjects so allowing them to either experience a variety of the Arts for the year. Their topics run for 2 terms and follow a 2-year rolling programme. Topics cover skills such as drawing and painting, printing, collage, sculpture and ICT.
All the students in Phase 3 and 4 also have the opportunity to share their artwork during formal Art Exhibitions as well as displays in the art room and around school. Students from Phase 3 and 4 have the opportunity to work towards the Arts Award Qualification.